Monday, November 21, 2011

Gero Crucifix

I think I like this crucifix more than the other crucifixes we have studied in the class. It makes Christ look like he's in pain and I feel like it gives off a more realistic vibe than a happy vibe. In reality, I was being nailed to a wooden cross and left there to die, I would not or even try not to stand up stiff with my held held high. I would be in tears, screaming my head off, and start sliding down the cross. I like to be realistic about life and the choices I make. This piece shows realistic emotions.
This is one of the few pieces of carved wood that survived from the middle ages. In 970, Archbishop Gero of Cologne commissioned this piece for his cathedral. The Christ figure is life size and he is made of gilded oak that was painted. This piece of work was made to be sympathsized upon and it worked on me!

5 comments:

  1. Although not as emotionally packed as the Vesperbild, this piece shows us the reality of crucifixion. I like that it holds a dual meaning - the body of Christ holding the body of Christ for communion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sculpture does have a realistic vibe to it's design. As I study it, I feel it illustrates the point of death at the end of suffering. This evokes sadness in me as I realize that the crucifixtion was inflicted on an innocent man. It was a brutal and violent time period back then. This piece is symbolic of the human struggle in the earthen experience. I noticed that Christ is not wearing a crown of thorns in this artwork. Also, what does INRI mean? Does it mean the fool? This word is carved at the top of the crucifix. Carved from wood and painted and gilded, this creation comes from another master of skill. It's a blessing pieces like this survived time. It has been a focal point of spiritual energy throughout it's time and history. Some artworks do center the spirit of the worshiper within the center of Divinity. This is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this crucifix better than others I've seen as well. It looks so much more realistic and it shows pain; the Jesus is the son of God, he is still human, and humans feel pain. I like how the artist incorporated that into the sculpture. It makes me feel sad, but also glad; not just this one, but most crucifixes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way, about the emotional value. I believe with crucifix's they really do need to hit that emotion to show everyone that Jesus really did suffer for your sins. This crucifix really does show all all the pain he was going through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to agree. I like this one the best out of all the ones we discussed in class. It shows the pain that Jesus was in when he was on the cross and it shows the emotional point of view. i also agree with your opinion about being nailed to the cross. I would just stand their weak and i would not try to stand up tall. I like how the cross is made and how you can put the bread and wine in the back of the cross.

    ReplyDelete