Monday, October 31, 2011

Beaver Effigy Platform Pipe

When I first looked at this I thought it was really cute and since some cultures worshipped birds, then they  must have worshipped beavers too, for some odd reason. The eyes creeped me out a little bit but it makes the beaver, I think. After we learned about this in class, I would have never guessed that it would be a pipe. The pipes that people normally see now are the old fashioned tabacco pipes that they used when our grandfathers were our age, or the pipes for pot for the potheads.
The people that made these were known as Hopewell in North and Central America. They would carve their own pipes that would represent forest animals. I would pick a bear personally. A polar bear preferrably. They would use freshwater pearls and bone for the animal's teeth. I don't know about you guys but I would not put my mouth on something with freshwater bone. Ew! The bowl would be behind the animal, in this case a beaver, that could be filled with dried leaves or tabacco. So when you smoked it, the animal would be looking at you so you could be "face to face whose shining pearly eyes suggests an association with the spiritual world. It would creep me out if I was smoking out of this and saw the beaver staring a me with those pearly eyes for some spiritual reason. Not to go against someone's religion but why would you want to connect to the spiritual world? I just saw Paranormal Activity 3 and that was enough spirit for me! The whole spirits and ghosts stuff is not my cup of tea at all. But overall I thought this was pretty neat.
Here are some other pipes they carved.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for including the images of some other pipes. The one at the bottom was not one I had seen before. Any idea what material it was made from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how a grave can communicate patterns of civilizations like the Hopewell in the Woodland period. These communities traded in all the directions of the compass.We know this because of excavations. I think archeologists are very special people-it is through them that we learn about the artistry of the past and cultures as well. This beaver effigy platform pipe is small, yet striking. Somehow, the pipe was carved to include the bowl and a channel/tube for the smoke. How did they craft it?
    The natural realm was very important to settlements during this time. Nature was a source of life and nature was a source of death. Surviving winter demanded hunting,not just for food but for clothing and shelter. The beaver was one animal that was used for clothing and flesh. That is why there was a reverence for all life in many spiritual beliefs of Native Americans in ancient times. So perhaps the pipe honored the soul of the beaver in earthen spiritual beliefs. The spiritual world was not feared during this time. They recognized the Great Circle of Divine Nature. Maybe current society can remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think i agree with you i'd go for something like a bear too. Although the frog does look pretty awesome. Maybe link a penguin but then again I don't they really knew anything of penguins at the time haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole thing is kind of crazy but it shows the relationship the people felt with nature. I kind if look at it as sort of a shrine to the animals and nature. By looking the animal in the eye while doing whatever they did with the pipe, they were probably able to feel a connection between nature and man and were able to pay respects and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these pipes are weird. I love the way they are shaped into different animals. I also like how they worshiped different animals like the beaver, frog, and bird that is show here. I agree with you with the whole looking at me thing. That is why I think it is weird. I would hate to be smoking out of the pipe and have a beaver looking at me in the face. I would feel discomfort. I would rather have the beaver or animal facing the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with you. i like these pipes. I like how these different animals were worshiped. The only thing that i would have a problem with would be smoking out of these things.

    ReplyDelete