Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kandariya Mahadeva Temple, Khajuraho

I am normally not a building person but this thing wowed me. The thing that wowed me was the shape of it and the stone work is. I always said that I want some sort of stone work to my house if I ever build it. This temple kinda leaves me speechless. I read about it in the book and here's a little bit of information that I found that I would like to share.
This is the Kandariya Mahadeva temple that was dedicated to Shiva at Khajuraho located in Central India. The whole thing sits on a stone terrace that is supposed to set off a sacred space from the mundane world. On the right side, there are steps that leads to three halls, which are known as mandapas, (spaces specifically for rituals). This  temple was built out of stone blocks. You will notice that there are no vaults or arch techniques. Could you imagine how small the space is on the inside?
In the textbook on page 316, there is a picture of sculptures that were on the exterior of this temple. It explains in the book that they are unsure of their significance but it is definitely different to me.

4 comments:

  1. I love how detailed it is, the building is much different than anything we have seen so far in our books which is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This building gives a whole new meaning and idea to architecture and construction. It shows emotion not only on the inside of the building but the exteriror side as well. It really drives away from the idea of plain and simple and brings scuplting and building together into one. Definitely the most unique building I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what do you think the significance of the sculptures is? I definitely agree with Scott about the unification of sculpture and architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how old this temple looks. It's not like any temple I have seen in our books. I like all the different details and how wonderful it looks on the outside.

    ReplyDelete